Where else in the world do history and the future, nature and
technology, young and old meet for an unforgettable and inspirational
journey through Space and time? At Kennedy Space Center, of course!
Places to Go, People to See...
Launch Complex 39
Cape Canaveral Air Station
Other NASA Facilities
Other Places to Visit
What's the Latest?
The following is late-breaking information about the 1997 Employee Open House.
Shuttle Landing Facility (SLF)
- A NASA Shuttle Carrier Aircraft (SCA) will be positioned on the SLF runway. Open House employees will direct you to parking for viewing the Boeing 747 aircraft that transports the orbiter back to KSC from Edwards Air Force Base in California.
- Other aircraft will be available for viewing near the Mate/Demate Device, including a Shuttle Trainer Aircraft (STA) and a T-38 jet trainer flown by the astronauts and several helicopters.
- The KARS Flyers will be providing demonstrations of remotely controlled scale-model airplanes at the south end of the SLF runway throughout the day.
Obiter Processing Facility (OPF) Bay 3
- OPF-3 will be closed during Open House due to preparations for the orbiter Atlantis to be ferried out to California atop the SCA for Orbiter Maintenance Down Period (OMDP) modifications. Earlier Open House plans had called for displays to be available for viewing in OPF-3. These displays will now be located in the breezeway area between
OPF-1 and -2.
If you'll be working on Open House Day...
If you need to work, but would like your family to be able to enter KSC or CCAS on Employee Open House Day, please contact your Space Flight Awareness representative or organization contact (click here for a list of names) to obtain a vehicle pass for your guests to enter without you. You must submit a written request for this special pass by Friday, Oct. 24.
Handicapped Services Available
If you need special services for the handicapped, such as requiring an interpreter for the briefings, please contact Nicole Fromberg prior to Open House Day. Nicole can be reached at 867-9566 or by e-mail at Nicole.Frombergemail@example.com. She also can be reached through the TDD by calling the Florida Relay service at 1-800-955-8770.
In the event of a medical emergency while at KSC, call 911 for on-site assistance. If you're using a cellular phone, call 867-7911. State your name, location, and nature of the emergency. A clinic at the Multi-Functional Facility also will be available for medical assistance. The Occupational Health Building in the Industrial Area will not be operational during Open House.
The Orbiter Processing Facility Bays 1 and 3, the Vertical Processing Facility, the Occupational Health Building (KSC Industrial Area), and Hangars N and S (CCAS) will be closed during Open House.
tour KSC and CCAS with your guests:
- You must have at least one badged employee per vehicle, no larger than a 15-passenger van;
- You may follow signs posted around the center to assist you in getting to facilities and services;
- Some facilities listed may be closed for operational or safety reasons;
- If you require locksmith services, require other assistance, or need the latest schedule of astronauts speaking in the training auditorium, call the Open House Central Command post on Open House Day only at 867-2468;
- Smoking is not permitted in any KSC building, and food and beverages are not allowed in many operational facilities;
- You should check for restrictions when entering any site;
- A list of laboratories and other rooms open to visitors in the larger facilities is available in each building’s lobby.
Curator: Susan Maurer (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Last Revised: Wednesday, October 29, 1997