- DISCOVERY (6)
- Pad 39-A (32)
- 20th Shuttle mission
- 6th Flight OV-103
- Shortened mission
- Joe H. Engle (2), Commander
- Richard O. Covey (1), Pilot
- James D. A. van Hoften (2), Mission Specialist 1
- John M. Lounge (1), Mission Specialist 2
- William F. Fisher (1), Mission Specialist 3
- OPF - June 29, 1985
- VAB - July 30, 1985
- PAD - Aug. 6, 1985
Click here for Additional Info on 51-I
- August 27, 1985, 6:58:01 a.m. EDT. Launch Aug. 24 scrubbed
at T-5 minutes due to thunderstorms in vicinity. Launch Aug. 25
delayed when orbiter's number five on-board general purpose
computer failed. Launch Aug. 27 delayed three minutes, one
second due to combination of weather and unauthorized ship
entering restricted solid rocket booster recovery area.
Launch Weight: 262,309 lbs.
- Altitude: 242nm
- Inclination: 28.45 degrees
- Orbits: 112
- Duration: 7 days, 2 hours, 17 minutes, 42 seconds.
- Distance: 2,919,576 miles
- SRB: BI-020
- SRM: L020(HPM)
- ET : 21/LWT-14
- MLP : 1
- SSME-1: SN-2109
- SSME-2: SN-2018
- SSME-3: SN-2012
- September 3, 1985, 6:15:43 a.m. PDT, Runway 23, Edwards Air Force Base,
Calif. Rollout distance: 6,100 feet. Rollout time: 47 seconds. Mission
shortened one day when AUSSAT sunshield hung up on remote manipulator system
camera and AUSSAT had to be deployed before scheduled. Orbiter returned to KSC
Sept. 8, 1985. Landing Weight: 196,674 lbs.
KSC Home Mission Index
Last Mission 51-F
Next Mission 51-J
- Three communications satellites deployed: ASC-1 , for American
Satellite Company; AUSSAT-1, an Australian Communications
Satellite; and SYNCOM IV-4, the Synchronous Communications
Satellite. ASC-1 and AUSSAT-1 both attached to Payload Assist
Module-D (PAM-D) motors. SYNCOM IV-4 (also known as LEASAT-4)
failed to function after reaching correct geosynchronous orbit.
Fisher and van Hoften performed 11 hours, 27 minutes of space walk.
Part of time spent retrieving, repairing and redeploying LEASAT-3,
deployed on Mission 51-D. Middeck Payload: Physical Vapor Transport
Organic Solid Experiment (PVTOS).
Last Updated Friday June 29 11:21:02 EDT 2001
Jim Dumoulin (firstname.lastname@example.org)