Hugh W. Harris was appointed Director, Public Affairs Office, at NASA's John F. Kennedy Space Center. by Center Director Robert L. Crippen in May 1992.
As Director of Public Affairs, he guides the Center's educational programs, media activities, special guest tours and briefings, and the operation of the visitors center, Spaceport USA, NASA's largest public visitor center.
Harris began his NASA career in 1963 as an information specialist at the Lewis Research Center in Cleveland, Ohio, and was promoted to Chief of the Public Information Office for Lewis in 1968. He transferred to KSC in 1975, where he was responsible for planning and administering an information program designed to keep the public informed, through the news media, of the activities, results and significance of aerospace programs conducted at the Kennedy Space Center. In addition to managing the news center, he provided broadcast for approximately 100 manned and expendable space vehicle launches. In 1985, he became Deputy Director, Public Affairs Office, participating in the management of all KSC public affairs and education awareness activities as well as NASA-wide planning in these functional areas.
Born in December 1932, he graduated from Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio, in 1956. He served in the U.S. Army as an information specialist from 1952-1954. Prior to joining NASA, Harris worked as a radio newscaster, a reporter with a metropolitan daily and a magazine writer for a major energy company.
Significant awards presented to Harris include the NASA Equal Opportunity Medal in 1979, and Exceptional Service Medals in 1985 and 1988. He was also honored by the Spacecoast Chapter of Federally Employed Women with its Distinguished Service Award for 1978-1979.
Mr. Harris and his wife, Cora, reside in Cocoa Beach, Florida.