- Pad LC-19 ()
- Titan-II (5)
- C. Gordon Cooper (2), Commander
- Charles Conrad, Jr (1), Pilot
- Neil A. Armstrong
- Elliot M. See, Jr
- Virgil I. Grissom (Cape)
- James A. McDivitt (Houston)
- Edwin E. Aldrin (Houston)
- Neil A. Armstrong (Houston)
- Gemini-V capsule
- Evaluate rendezvous Guidance and Navigation system with REP.
Demonstrate 8-day capability of spacecraft and crew. Evaluate
effects on weightlessness for 8-day flight. Spacecraft weight: 3605kg.
- Secondary objectives included: Demonstrate controlled reentry
guidance. Evaluate fuel cell. Demonstrate all phases of
guidance and control system operation needed for rendezvous.
Evaluate capability of both crewmen to maneuver spacecraft to
rendezvous. Checkout rendezvous radar. Execute 17 experiments.
- August 21, 1965; 8:59:59.518am EST. A launch attempt on August 19
was postponed due to weather conditions and problems with loading
cryogenic fuel for the fuel cell.
- Altitude: 349.8 km
- Inclination: 32.61 degrees
- Orbits: 120
- Duration: 7 Days, 22 hours, 55 min, 14 seconds
- Distance: km
- August 29, 1965. Landing was at 29deg44min North and 69deg 45min
West. Miss distance was 170.3km (92nm). Navy divers from the backup
recovery ship USS DuPont (DD-941) recovered the crew and transfered
them via helicopter to the USS Lake Champlain (crew onboard in 89
Click Here for Newer Missions
- During the mission, problems developed with the fuel cell that
precluded rendezvous with the radar evaluation pod (REP). Primary
rendezvous G&N system with REP objective was not achieved. REP
rendezvous was not attempted due to a decision to power down fuel
- Secondary objective to demonstrate controlled reentry guidance was
not achieved due to incorrect navigation coordinates transmitted
to the spacecraft computer from the ground. This caused an 89mile
overshoot of the landing zone. Experiment D-2, Nearby Object
Photography was not conducted when REP rendezvous was canceled.
Click Here more information about Gemini-V
Return to KSC Home Page Return to Gemini Page
Last Updated Friday August 25 13:03:58 EDT 2000
Jim Dumoulin (email@example.com)