- Pad LC-19 ()
- Titan-II (9)
- Thomas P. Stafford (2), Commander
- Eugene A. Cernan (1), Pilot
- James A. Lovell Jr,
- Edwin E. Aldrin
- Edwin E. Aldrin, Jr. (Cape,Houston)
- Neil A. Armstrong (Houston)
- James A. Lovell, Jr. (Houston)
- Richard F. Gordon, Jr. (Houston)
- Gemini-IX-A capsule
- Primary objective was to perform rendezvous and docking and conduct
EVA. Secondary objectives included: Rendezvous with ATDA (launched
6/1/66 from Complex 14) in 3rd revolution. Conduct systems evaluation
and equiperiod rendezvous. Execute 7 experiments. Practice Docking,
Rendezvous from above and to demonstrate controlled reentry. The
original crew of Gemini-IX, Elliott M. See and Charles Bassett were
killed in an airplane crash on February 28, 1966. The backup crew was
named to the prime crew positions.
Spacecraft weight: 3750kg. ATDA weight: 1088kg
- June 3, 1966 8:39:33.335 am EST. GT-9 was postponed when TLV 5303
with Gemini Agena target vehicle GATV-5004 malfunctioned on May 17.
In its place, a substitute target was used for GT-9A; the Augmented
Target Docking Adapter (ATDA) was launched by an Atlas on June 1, 1966
(TLV-5304) from Launch Complex 14; However GT-9A was not launched the
same day as planned due to a guidance system computer problem. After
a brief hold, the spacecraft was launched on the 3rd day.
- Altitude: 311.5km (168nm)
- Inclination: 28.86 degrees
- Orbits: 45
- Duration: 3 Days, 0 hours, 20 min, 50 seconds
- Distance: km
- June 6, 1966. Landing was at 27deg 52min N and 75deg 0.4min West.
Miss distance .704 miles (.38 nm). Recovery ship USS Wasp (crew
onboard in 52 min).
Click Here for Newer Missions
- Primary objective of rendezvous and docking was only partially
achieved because the shroud on the ATDA failed to jettison. Instead
GT-9A performed a number of rendezvous maneuvers, including a
simulation of lunar module rendezvous. EVA time 2hours 7 min. During
EVA maneuvers, Cernan's visor became fogged, and he was unable to test
the Air Force maneuvering unit.
- Secondary objective experiment S-10, Agena Micrometerorite
Collection experiment was not attempted because EVA did not take place
near Gemini Agena target vehicle (GATV).
Click Here more information about Gemini-IX-A
Return to KSC Home Page Return to Gemini Page
Last Updated Friday August 25 13:03:58 EDT 2000
Jim Dumoulin (firstname.lastname@example.org)